Sunday, August 13, 2006

Love and Marriage, Love and Marriage

So, here's a new thing I learned about the Navy. Even your husband's final decision isn't final. Today my husband left me a message saying he no longer wants to go to Washington; he wants to go to New York again. Which suits me just fine, it's where I wanted to go in the first place. But I will no longer divulge information about where we are going until we have packed up and found a place to live. At least then it'll be (semi) permanent!! Just keep your fingers crossed and keep repeating "Saratoga, Saratoga, Saratoga".

I've been thinking about what makes a good Navy Wife. It's probably a lot of what makes any wife good, but especially if you are the wife of a man who leaves home for work a lot. I think a wife in that situation has to be of a certain caliber. At least, I see myself being a certain way that has made it easier on our marriage. When your husband spends a lot of time away from home, you need to be a wife who is able to separate herself from that and keep life going. Bring the kids to the zoo, the beach, the museum, go away for the weekend. Whatever you do, you can't stay home and wait for the hubby to come home, yearning for his attention. However, you also have to realize when it IS time to stay home and wait, or rush home when he calls. It's a fine line between being independent and acting like your husband doesn't exist. There's also a fine line between wishing your husband was home more and being too needy.

I know, nobody's perfect, and no marriage is either. What works for us may not work for everyone. I just know I have seen/heard of far too many separations lately and it makes me scared of what lies ahead...these people have been married 5 years, 8 years...and I bet that two years ago, or 5 years ago when they were 3 years along like us, they hardly suspected a thing. Makes you wonder, you know???

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fatty said....
Earn money - tramadol (whatever that is) and if you keep saying SARAtoga SARA-TO-GA SARA-to GA you start dancing around in circles with one arm raised...THEN ITS STARTS RAINING OUTSIDE!!!

Sunday, August 20, 2006 6:13:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

3 weeks/1 week...3 weeks/1 week. i know hardly the comparison to some but i totally get what you are saying.

Monday, August 21, 2006 7:50:00 PM  
Blogger deevahgrl said...

Don't you hate those fake commenters, who make you feel all cool, until you realize they've just commented an ad for tramadol or something equally as stupid? GRR on them.

Let's get together soon, eh?

Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

need to talk. pls call me. been very busy

Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:18:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home