Monday, September 11, 2006

Where Were You?

I've been catching various 9/11 Documentaries on TV today. And I have been hearing clips on the radio from that day. Is it too cliche to talk about it here?

I remember where I was when I found out. I had just finished teaching my first period class. I was walking to the Teachers' Room to make copies, and I saw everyone watching the TV. So I checked it out, and spent most of my free period just staring. Marveling at the images, knowing I was seeing something that would define a generation, like the Kennedy Assassination. I too , would never forget that day, the same as the people in November 1963.

Art was going Underway that morning. I was so afraid he wasn't coming home after the short couple of weeks that were originally planned. I couldn't get in touch with him on his cell phone and at that time I wasn't aware of numbers I could call on the boat. I do know that he tried to call me that morning. I rushed out of my classroom in the middle of a lesson and tried to call him back, but no one knew who I was looking for. It was a scary thought, imagining that he may be gone for an undetermined amount of time and that I hadn't been able to say good-bye properly. As it turns out, he wasn't out too much longer than planned. A relief beyond reliefs.

When I look back now, I know that 9/11 was a turning point in my life, as I'm sure it was for everyone in the U.S. I've always been more apt to stay home and enjoy being with my family. In college coming home for breaks was more than just a vacation from school. It was a time to recharge my feelings of belonging somewhere, no matter what. I would never have given up a Family Party to do anything else. Before 9/11 it was just something that I seemed to do out of habit. Since 9/11 I've come to see things differently.

Now, I spend time with family knowing why. I do it consciously, because I know that the most important thing in the world is your family. Every moment could be the last moment, the most special moment. I try my hardest to always appreciate each moment, and let my family know they are important to me. Always. 9/11 taught me that there are people who lose their families to tradgedies of all kinds everyday. Some tradgedies are personal. Some are wide-spread. But in each tradgedy, no one saw it coming. No one thinks that any day will be the last. But it could be. You never know.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sara said...

Yea, that is the truth. tragedy comes in all shapes and sizes....it sucks. I was in richmond visiting matt when my mom called me, i watched the towers crumble. it was odd explaining it to Jess overthe weekend as they were talking about it in school and learning what happened. it was like asking my dad about the vietnam war...

Tuesday, September 12, 2006 7:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home