Thursday, April 20, 2006

Let's Talk Catholic

Today I had an experience that epitomizes what most would consider the "Good Ol' Catholic Guilt".

Let me preface by saying that it also, on the other hand, makes me feel like I am a moralistic person, for the most part (I say that because no one is perfect, and if you read this frequently, you know I don't always have the most pure, kind thoughts.) I don't intentionally go out of my way to do something that is sneaky or wrong. It just so happens, though, that this time my Blonde Polish Naivete put me in an awkward situation.

Here we go.

Today was the day my mom and I went to Ikea and then to the Base, because it was on the way home and I had errands to run. So, first I bought my ticket to Six Flags, and picked up some info for Disney. Which, BTW, is MUY MUY TRES EXPENSIVO. Yikes! Then, after the MWR, we went into the Commissary. And here's where the Catholic Guilt comes into play. I needed milk, sugar, cereal bars, you know, regular middle-of-the-week-pick-ups. And my mom saw a few things she wanted too. Like Kleenex, water, steaks & chips. Jus things she meant to get and thought it would be easy to grab there. No biggie, right? Well, wrong! In my naivete, it never occurred to me that bringing someone to the Grocery Store on the Base and letting them buy items with you is against the rules. I mean, now that I know that, it makes sense. But, boy was my face red when the lady was all like "Can I see your ID" (and she said it soooo nasty too, like she knew what was happening) to my mom and my mom was all like, "I'm with her." And the lady was like "I can't let you pay for that without a Military Card." So we had to put our bill together, and then my mom asked if I could give the lady cash for her stuff and pay on my card for my stuff. To which the lady bit back by saying "I can't tell you that. I VALUE my job." Whoa!! Now, I know now that what I did was wrong, but c'mon! Could you honestly not tell that it was an honest mistake??? Was there really a reason for her to be so mean about it? Probably so, I mean, I'm sure that there are oogads of people who do it every day and know it's wrong but sneak it anyways. But, really, what if my mom lived with me, or was up visiting (it IS vacation week) and she was just trying to be nice and buy stuff for me?


It sure did fire up the guilt though. And that, IMO, is the hardest part about being Catholic. The guilt you feel for doing the wrong thing, even when you didn't realize it was wrong...

Sorry, Commissary Lady. I hope you still have your job.

2 Comments:

Blogger BonnieJean said...

your mom was so excited about what she bought and how cheap everything was lol. next time just pool your money together and go crazy! lol.. so after ur mom got to talking about IKEA it made me really want to go and see how it is.. but gas is like 4 dollars lol.. so im gonna wait un til gas goes down before i drive to stoughton lol. Well i just figured id say hi.. im tired so i might go to bed.. even though its early.. i havent been to bed this early in a while and it might be nice.. have a good weekend and see u soemtime if ur down!

Thursday, April 20, 2006 6:47:00 PM  
Blogger Sara said...

I love the military! listen dont feel guilty over it, please, seriously. that lady was a bit on the byotch side for acting like that; you know what you say to her - sorry you are so miserable then get a new job - i have lived the military life for so freaking long that you cant take everything so darn seriously :) and certianly dont let the catholic guilt set in, man do i know that one!!!!! it makes you think way to hard sometimes...makes you ponder the actions and the words. but hey, dont allow the guilt the opportunity. Love Ikea btw, we have one pretty close by here, fun store to go to and walk around. its what the girls rooms have been furnished and decorated with. okay i have to get in gear, be good :)

Saturday, April 22, 2006 6:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home