Thursday, May 25, 2006

Contractors Can Take Their Hammers And...

So, I have an issue with Contractors. Particularly Home Construction Contractors. I can't say I've dealt with Contractors in the Business World. Although I suspect they are the same way.

Here's the thing. We want to get our downstairs bathroom redone. The job would consist of walling off the door, putting the shower on that wall where the sink was, moving the sink where the shower was, and add a door to the opposite wall that it was on (so that the entrance is in the Kitchen). Oh, and then of course the cosmetics after. Not really a hard job. My husband did basically the same thing upstairs with the help of some family in mostly 3 weeks, at night and on the weekends. So you figure a Contractor could blow it out in like a week, two tops. They wouldn't have nearly as many Mulligans as my husband. Trust me, it's not humanly possible (I love you Hun!).

But only ONE contractor has come to the house. Another kept canceling, then told my husband it would cost twice what the other Contractor quoted us. He made another appointment the other night but we had to switch it (he has cancelled on us 3 times already so we didn't feel too bad). He was supposed to come tonight at 7. It's 8 now, and he never even called. As far as I can tell, that's par for the course with Contractors. They think their kaka don't stink or something. Like it's okay to go around screwing up people's schedules because the job isn't worth enough money. And you know he'd be one of those guys who would come one day and install a light switch, and then not come for a week. It would be like pulling teeth to come get him to finish the job. Why do contractors do that? Why do they take on 6 jobs at a time and then screw everyone by only working on their job once a week? What gives them the right to do that to people? I'd just rather struggle through doing it all myself, and spend 1/4 of what it would cost me to hire an arse like that, even if it took me a year. At least the guys that actually did come to the house gave us a decent estimate and seem nice. We'll see about them...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home